Wednesday 8 December 2010

That European Union Bill

The pointless European Union Bill, and it's non-existent referendum lock, received its second reading yesterday. Due to other commitments I completely missed the debate. However there are some good comments on the debate here, here and here. Despite the deliberate ineffectiveness of the bill, it won't be the end of the EU problem for Cameron - there are likely to be unintended consequences. Ultimately though it's the usual Tory fudge, followed by backbench huffing and puffing yet still resulting in more integration.

Personally I'm rather pleased that it won't work. I don't want a referendum on every single transfer of power to the EU - what a waste of time (and money) - I just want the one referendum; 'in or out'.

A strong and successful referendum lock would have made the 'out' cause that much harder. It will allow the Tories to argue that they were genuine eurosceptics shown by the fact that regular referendums were held, it won't negate all of the previous EU competencies that have been agreed so our real government would still reside in Brussels regardless.

Having a weak referendum lock will ensure that integration will continue apace, which means the 'out' cause not only becomes easier all the time to argue for but that exit gets ever closer. By introducing such a weak bill, Cameron has unwittingly helped in our cause. More integration means a quicker exit.

In other words we need a Queen sacrifice to force checkmate.

2 comments:

  1. Ta for link, TBF.

    Don't misunderstand me but neither to I want a referendum on every transfer of power, however at the moment that is what is required if the present situation remains in place. We need to define exactly what powers Parliament should have. Bear in mind that as I posted the real government of the nation is the people!

    Likewise I also feel an in/out referendum is what is required, if only on a cost basis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem WfW, I don't misunderstand you (I don't think) my post was largely aimed at those (mainly Tories) who thought the referendum lock was a step forward for euroscepticism and thought the Tories would deliver.

    I don't put you in either of those categories.

    ReplyDelete